Thursday, May 7, 2009

Burning bras and blisters


Tonight I had a very liberating experience. One of those "Let's burn our bra" experiences. Granted, I can't literally burn my bra because my boobs would hang to my knees, but that is a whole other can of tomatoes.
I went to the mall to meet up with my hubby and I was dressed up for my school's annual Awards Night. By the time I found him in the Apple store, the balls of my feet were covered in blisters. Two blisters on each foot the size of large pencil erasers.
As we got up to leave I promptly told my hubby I needed new shoes and I couldn't survive the rest of the night with the shoes I had on. So without hesitation, I walked into a store Naturalizers, shoes formed from the clouds Zeus himself sits on, picked out a pair of shoes (without looking at the price which I NEVER DO), and purchased them. The Flintstones episode where Wilma and Betty go shopping and yell "Charge it" came to mind!
The cashier even sweetened the deal with 20% off if I signed up to receive a catalog...uh,duh! I put my old torture shoes in the shoe box and he asked me if I wanted him to dispose of the evil shoes. I said, "yes, thank you". Mr. Cashier of course had to add the disclaimer that if he disposed of the shoes I couldn't get them back. I looked down at my feet floating slightly off the ground and replied with a "no, take them away".
My husband and I walked out of there and in 10 minutes, I had a new pair of shoes!

I have never done something like that before. Go in, know what I want, buy it and walk out. It was so liberating. I think we all need to do that once in a while. Just a fun impulse buy that will make us feel good. Something we don't need. I think we all get wrapped up in what we need, that we forget that sometimes, it is just nice to buy something fun for a change. Enjoy life. It is the little things that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment